Union City New Jersey Online Driver Education and Union City New Jersey Licensing Procedures
So, you're now ready to begin the adventure of applying for your Union City New Jersey learner's permit or first Union City New Jersey driver license. Union City New Jersey has a a three-stage graduated licensing program for drivers under the age of 18. The program allows beginning drivers to develop their driving skills over time as they gain experience and maturity. There are a several things you'll want to keep in mind to make sure that applying for your Union City New Jersey driving license is as stress-free a process as possible. So let's get started.
The Union City New Jersey Instructional Permit or Union City New Jersey Learner’s Permit
When you turn 16, you can apply for a Union City New Jersey Learner’s Permit. This license allows you to practice driving with your parent, guardian, driving instructor, or licensed driver who is at least 21 and has 3 or more years of driving experience. All passengers must wear seatbelts, and be sure to carry identification with you at all times!
To apply, you’ll need the following:
- Proof of Enrollment in a Union City New Jersey approved driver training course
- A signed letter with parental/guardian consent
- The Union City New Jersey driver’s license fee
- Identification (a birth certificate, US Passport, or Certificate of Citizenship)
If you’ve got all of the necessary materials, head on down to your local Union City New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) and submit your application. You’ll need to pass a vision test, as well as a knowledge test, which you can prepare for by reading the Union City New Jersey MVC’s Driver Manual.
Union City New Jersey Learner’s Permit Restrictions
Even with supervision, the following restrictions apply:
- You may not drive between 11PM and 5AM
- You can only drive one non-family member passenger
- Teen drivers may not use cell phones, hand-held video games, or any electronic devices
The Union City New Jersey Provisional Driver License or Union City New Jersey Full License
Once you're 17, the next step is the Union City New Jersey Provisional license. Head on down to your local Union City New Jersey MVC with the proper ID. All that remains is the dreaded road test! If you pass, then congratulate yourself: you’ve just earned your Union City New Jersey Provisional License.
Union City New Jersey Teen Driver License Restrictions and Penalties
We know you're anxious for full driving freedom, but until you turn 18 there are several restrictions you need to be aware of regarding your Union City New Jersey Provisional license:
- No driving between midnight and 5AM unless for emergencies, your job, or a school-related activity
- Everyone in the vehicle must wear a seatbelt
- Only one non-family passenger allowed
- No cell phones, hand-held video games, or any electronic devices while driving
After you turn 18, you can return to your local Union City New Jersey MVC to receive your Union City New Jersey basic driver license. Then these restrictions are removed. Freedom!
Union City New Jersey Drunk Driving, Cell Phone, and Text Messaging Laws
As a Union City New Jersey teen driver, one of your first responsibilities is to learn the Union City New Jersey drunk driving, cell phone, and text messaging laws. Like most states, Union City New Jersey has a Zero Tolerance Law for underage drinking, and if you are convicted of a Union City New Jersey DUI or Union City New Jersey DWI, you face additional penalties to those listed below.
Upon your first conviction of a Union City New Jersey DWI, you’ll face the following penalties:
- Jail sentence up to 30 days
- Fine from $250-$400
- Driver Intervention Program
- Ignition Interlock Possible
- Other DWI fees $525 minimum
- Auto Insurance Surcharge $1,000 for 3 years
- License suspension 3 months
- Attend Intoxicated Driver Resource Center 2 days a week, 6 hours per day
Of course, each additional offense will bring increasingly severe penalties such as increased jail time, community service, fines, and Union City New Jersey license suspension or even Union City New Jersey license revocation.
Currently, Union City New Jersey teen drivers are prohibited from using cell phones while driving unless you have a hands-free device. The fine is $100-$200.
Union City New Jersey Auto Insurance Financial Responsibility Laws
With everything that you've learned, you’re ready to hit the road--or are you? Not quite yet, because Union City New Jersey drivers are required by law to be covered by liability insurance. In fact, if you are in an accident and found to be driving without Union City New Jersey mandatory liability insurance, you could face suspension of your Union City New Jersey license.
The minimum liability insurance coverage is:
- $10,000 bodily injury for 2 or more persons per accident
- $5,000 for property damage
- $15,000 Personal Injury Protection (PIP) per person, per accident
- $250,000 for permanent or significant injury
Union City New Jersey Online Driver Education
You will need to provide proof of enrollment in an approved driver education course. You can find more information on approved Union City New Jersey online driver education courses on the Union City New Jersey MVC website.